On Thu, 2011-02-17 at 12:57 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
> Adam D. Barratt wrote:

[the gnome task depends on gdm3, the xfce and lxde tasks depend on gdm;
gdm and gdm3 conflict]

> That's unfortunate. I doubt that the light desktop tasks will continue
> to use gdm for too long, as it seems unlikely gdm 2 will remain in
> Debian.

That (gdm remaining in Debian) is roughly where the discussion that lead
to my mail began - I mentioned to one of the GNOME maintainers that
removing gdm from wheezy would require dropping it from the tasks and it
was later pointed out to me that the lack of co-installability rendered
that untrue.

> Co-installability of tasks is also a desirable property in general.

I suspected it might be.

> > We've therefore been looking at splitting the single faux package in to a
> > set of faux packages, one per task.
[...]
> Before you spend too much time on that, I have been thinking about
> converting tasksel's tasks back to real packages.
[...]
> This has been a longterm plan, and one I wanted to discuss more broadly.
> But I can try to move up the implementation if it avoids duplicate work.

The basic implementation on the britney side exists (in my local setup)
since a few hours ago, after I tinkered with it during my lunch break.
The interesting work of extracting the information required from the
version of tasksel-data currently in unstable already exists in order to
create the current composite list and the changes for moving from
(essentially) a list to a list of lists weren't particularly complex.

I'm quite happy for that work to remain an interesting diversion from
debugging customer systems, but thought it was worth discussing how we
best resolve the current situation regarding the tasksel-meta-faux
package being broken by the non co-installability of the tasks.

Regards,

Adam