On Wed, 2015-07-22 at 00:02 -0700, Martin Michlmayr wrote:
> Is $DEBIAN_HAS_FRONTEND supposed to be set when d-i runs in-target?

in-target (via chroot-setup.sh in debian-installer-utils) unsets it and
always has AFAICT from the git log.

>From #721485 that clause is there to handle failure when running via a
new package install or dpkg-reconfigure on an installed system.

I think it is the DEBIAN_FRONTEND which is supposed to work for the
installer case, which you added back in 2008. in-target appears to have
set DEBIAN_FRONTEND=passthrough since 2005, but perhaps something has
gotten into (or out of) the middle in the meantime?

Or perhaps something has changed to using in-target which wasn't
before?

In any case, perhaps the answer is to check for DEBIAN_FRONTEND either
noninteractive or passthrough? Or maybe even just for it being set at
all, since even if it were =text or =newt or whatever echo+read doesn't
seem like the right answer...

> Ian, do you know what's going on?  It seems the fixes you applied are
> not working.

They were for other cases than d-i. Since the fixup to put the
DEBIAN_FRONTEND check back I don't think the behaviour under d-i has
changed for years.

It would be nice (tm) if that bit of code could actually use debconf if
it happens to be there, but maybe that's one for another time.

Ian.