On May 21, 2016, at 3:05 AM, Roger Shimizu <rogershim...@gmail.com> wrote:

>> First observation is that the way I normally do installations on this
>> machine (I keep it around for exactly this kind of testing, so I do a fair
>> number of installations on it) is to run screen as a terminal emulator on a
>> desktop machine that is connected to the Plug via a USB serial connection.
>> If I did that for this experiment, I’d wind up with screen running on the
>> Plug inside of screen running on the Desktop and the thought of keeping
>> track of all the levels of ctl-A gave me nightmares.
>
> Indeed. It will be messed up if running screen inside screen.
> If you have any suggestion to avoid this, just let me know.
>
>> So, I changed to using “cu” to run the USB serial connection.  That worked
>> well enough.

This, or some other workaround, will have to be described in the documentation
for the feature.  I suggest that it go in the release notes for the first
official release to contain the feature.  A wiki page is probably also
appropriate.

>> The installation proceeded smoothly while I experimented with the ctl-A
>> <1-4> options.  It would have been nice to have the option of a more
>> spacious work-area — larger than 24x80 — but that’s a minor issue.
>
> I find this size of screen limitation, too.
> But I think this limitation is not introduced by GNU/screen, it exists before.

The kernel assumes that the default size of a serial console should be 24x80.
This probably goes back to the early days of video terminals with UNIX in the
1980s.

It is possible to change the assumed size of a serial console using the “stty”
command with its “rows” and “columns” options.  Unfortunately doing so doesn’t
inform “screen” of the new size — you have to do that yourself by resizing the
terminal window it’s running in.

I can’t think of any way to automate that rather complicated process, so I
guess the only sensible approach is to accept 24x80 as a given limitation and
just live with it.  After all, who are we to argue with 30 years of history!
(-:

Enjoy!
Rick