Hi,

jhcha54008 <jhcha54...@free.fr> (2017-12-30):
> Just to summarize what I have found about backports support in debian
> installer (did I miss something important ?) :
>
> As you pointed out previously, it may be useful to build netboot images
> of the debian installer with a newer kernel - and even some newer udebs
> from backports.
>
> May I ask if your message :
>
> https://lists.debian.org/debian-kernel/2014/01/msg00371.html
>
> reflects the current state of the efforts to merge backports support ?

I have refreshed patch series once in a while, but never got around to
merging them.

> Reading your message and the thread, I see three different use cases :
> 1 : kernel only : no udebs from backports but kernel modules and image.
> 2 : everything from backports : udebs from backports are preferred to others
> (that's what you implemented, if I understand correctly)
> 3 : mixed : some udebs from backports are included, but some other not.

The current idea is to pick (3).

> In the second case (everything from backports), dependencies should be
> satisfyied in the union of stable and backports. The question was if udebs
> from backports should be unconditionnally preferred. Or does the usual rule :
>  'install the package with the newest version number'
> hold in this case ?
>
> As there is no such a mechanism as apt_preferences shipped with net-retriever,
> how the dependencies between downloaded udebs should be resolved in the third
> case (mixed) is not clear to me. Is this of practical relevance ?
>
> At the time of writing, five udeb packages for amd64 have versions in both
> stretch and stretch-backports :

Implementation would look like: selecting what packages to pick from
backports at d-i build time, and implement the appropriate merging from
different Packages files in net-retriever, based on this “policy”.

I'll try to get back to this during January, and post updated patch
series/status/etc. once I've done a first pass on it.

Cheers,
--
Cyril Brulebois (k...@debian.org)            <https://debamax.com/>