On 2018-08-10 04:51 PM, Bailey Parker wrote:
I'd like to somehow modify the installer ISO that I create when preseeding to
include ZFS (so that before the package manager is configured, a ZFS pool can
be created), replace the partman step with some custom scripting that [creates
a zpool and sets up the datasets][2], and finally install zfs-dkms (also
zfsutils-linux and zfs-initramfs).
I use the late_command to install kernel modules, packages, mirrors, kernels, etc.  I have used this to install the zfs modules for non-root-zfs boots where zfs partitions are used in other capacities

The late-command allows package install as well as 'in-target' style commands, which could call scripts loaded via the preseed process.
In digging through mail archives, I also came across [this script][5], but it's
unclear to me how exactly that would fit into my desired workflow. This sounds
like you'd need to manually drop to a shell to install/setup ZFS.
could probably be handled by the preseed late_command in-target abilities
Is there a sane way to go about adding ZFS root support to my preseeded install
or should I abandon this and wait for better support?  If the latter, are there
steps I could take to add better support given my limited knowledge of d-i?

I've used SaltStack to build my various preseed scripts depending upon how physical or virtual machines are built.