Niels Thykier:
> [...] The goal for this change is to simplify udeb handling to remove
> one papercut /in the common case/ for udeb packages in two forms:
>
>  1) Packages that need to add a new udeb will have one less step to
>     worry about when they follow the naming convention for udebs.
>
>  2) /Some/ existing udeb producing packages will be able to drop their
>     manual overrides (assuming they follow this convention as well).
>     An example of a package that would benefit is bind9, where we can
>     remove about 11 lines[4].
>
> While most packages seem follow the convention, there are exceptions.
> As an example, I spotted fontconfig[5] which will not benefit from this
> change.  Instead, it (and other exceptions) will have to keep --add-udeb.
>
> Thanks,
> ~Niels
>
> [...]

To clarify, there are two requirements for being able to use this change:

 1) Naming convention "X" vs. "X-udeb".

 2) There must be a 1:1 between X and its udeb.  For packages that
    "merge" multiple debs into a single udeb, you will also need an
    --add-udeb (combined with multiple -p or even an -a argument).

(The second bit was not explicit in my previous mail).

The covered case therefore matches the pattern:

  dh_makeshlibs -pX --add-udeb=X-udeb ...

Thanks,
~Niels