El 2020-04-15 a las 14:41 -0400, Lennart Sorensen escribió:

> On Wed, Apr 15, 2020 at 07:45:42PM +0200, Camaleón wrote:
> > Hello,
> >
> > Tried the mini-iso image to install testing (i386), with both, daily and
> > weekly files. To my surprise, the installer was unable to detect the wired
> > NIC adapter and wifi required a non-free firmware that I was unable to
> > load (I tried by following the instructions and copying the files on a
> > secondary USB stick, but no way).
> >
> > Kernel log showed something like «R8169 Unknown Chip XID 5A4».
>
> If it was XID 54A then it makes sense.  That chip was added to the kernel
> in november 2019, and is part of 5.5 kernel and newer.

Umm... this is an old netbook, the NIC adapter has always been working,
it's a very common chipset.

> Did you actually mean to install 32bit rather than 64bit given it must
> be a new machine?

Good point.

While this is a 2 GiB RAM netbook, last time I checked only i386 and
-pae kernel were working, but I can try again with amd64 image.

(testing right now...)

Well, the net-iso (64 bits) just loads fine. Logs here say (I must have
mispelled the ID before):

«r8169 0000:01:00.0 unknown chip XID 240».

Again, no wired NIC available.

My netbook is a Compaq Mini CQ10-520ES, currently running a looong-
standing Debian testing version and... well, okay, kernel says the same,
the NIC card is not being recognized, same message «unknown chip XID
240».

As this computer always uses the wireless adapter, I simply ignored the
wired NIC had been unavailable until now.

This can be relevant:
https://answers.launchpad.net/ubuntu/+source/gnome-nettool/+question/689563

Any hint is very welcome.

Greetings,