Hi,

Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Richard Owlett <rowl...@cloud85.net> wrote:
> > This is a rewrite of my original post after having received input
> > directly and indirectly related to my problems.
> >
> > I wish to have an uncluttered install of Debian 10 with MATE desktop.
> > It is my understanding that when MATE is selected, the installer begins
> > with mate-desktop-environment. Reading
> > [https://packages.debian.org/buster/mate-desktop-environment] indicates
> > that not installing "suggested" will achieve my *specified* goal.
> > Selected packages will later be installed using apt-get.
> >
> > My procedure was:
> >     Copy Buster {10.0} DVD1 ISO to flash drive with dd
> >     When booted chose menu item "Expert" install
> >     Press <Tab> to bring up installers boot command
> >               "/install.amd/vmlinuz priority=low vga=788
> >                initrd=/install.amd/initrd.gz --- "
> >          Append  "recommends=false" in 2 trials
> >        Trial 1 - without removing " --- "
> >        Trial 2 - after removing " --- "
>
> Reading the installation-guide (as already suggested) I don't see any advise
> there to remove something from the commandline. It is only suggested to add
> <some parameter> to the line.
> So that would lead to something like
> "/install.amd/vmlinuz priority=low vga=788 initrd=/install.amd/initrd.gz
> recommends=false --- "

Unless I have overlooked something, "recommends=false" (or its long version
"base-installer/install-recommends") only affects the base system installation.
tasksel for installing the different tasks does not react on this setting.

(This is not unexpected, since the setting is
"base-installer/install-recommends".)

So you will need to only install the task 'standard' within the initial debian
installation and then install the rest (like a minimal MATE) after rebooting
and setting up apt's options accordingly.

Holger

--
Holger Wansing <hwans...@mailbox.org>
PGP-Fingerprint: 496A C6E8 1442 4B34 8508  3529 59F1 87CA 156E B076