Hello,
We have an issue installing Debian on some EBBR (Embedded Base Boot
Requirements) based systems. Specifically, on EBBR platforms, UEFI
SetVariable() is not required at runtime[1] (it is, however, required for boot
time services). So, from within Linux, efibootmgr may not work for the
end-user; but EFI applications that employ boot time services, would be able to
set boot variables.

When working through a Debian install, one workaround we have is to "Execute a
shell" when the GRUB install phase throws an error, and then:
# chroot /target
# update-grub
# mkdir /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT
# cp -v /boot/efi/EFI/debian/grubaa64.efi /boot/efi/EFI/BOOT/bootaa64.efi

Before continuing with the rest of the install.

The question from our side is; would it be possible to please put some sort of
workaround for EBBR systems into the Debian install logic if EFI SetVariable()
fails? For example, a bootaa64.efi could be placed on the target system in the
removable path that is either: 1) a copy of grub, or 2) could be an EFI utility
that sets the Debian EFI boot variable?

Cheers,
--
Steve Capper

[1] - https://arm-software.github.io/ebbr/#id21 - Table 2.6
EFI_RUNTIME_SERVICES Implementation Requirements