Hi Tom,

On Sat, Nov 20, 2021 at 01:59:42AM +0000, TomK wrote:
>Package: debian-installer
>Version: 20210731+deb11u1_amd64
>
>Errors, "No suitable shell found on /dev/sda1"
>
>Cycling through every partition results in what should be /usr being
>selected as the root partition. This is useless for a rescue syatem,
>because there some commands missing.
>
>I tried to mount the root partition on a mount point I made inside
>the installer, but there was a problem with permissions. I can't
>perfectly remember. I tried 'sudo', but it isn't available in the
>installer.
>
>I was attempting to reinstall grub, to get the system to boot. I have
>also used the rescue syatem to change a lost password. It appears
>this bug may apply only to a gpt partition table and a fat32 boot
>partition (efi?).
>
>I've had this same problem with 2 systems, a lappy and a desktop. I
>can always work around it. I don't understand what could be going on,
>for lack of experience. I've only been a Debian user since Woody was
>in testing.
>
>It's easy to reproduce. Do an expert install with defaults, but
>partition with gpt. Boot the system with the install media, launch a
>rescue shell, and try to open a root shell. An incorrect device
>should be identified as '/'. Perhaps this occurs only when /usr is on
>a different partition that '/'.
>
>But it is bothersome, because it essentially removes 90% of the
>functionality from the rescue system. The install media used to be my
>goto for rescue. But now I've found this very annoying problem. If
>you require more info, I can boot the dvd again and record exact
>errors.

Just to be sure, can you expand on this "expert install with defaults"
please? Exactly what partition layout are you using? Reading the rest
of your mail, I get the impresion that you're putting /usr on a
different fs from the rootfs?

As well as working on the rescue setup, I've personally used it quite
a bit over the years and so long as you identify the rootfs ok it
normally works just fine in my experience. Hence I'm curious to see
how your setup may be causing a different experience...

--
Steve McIntyre, Cambridge, UK.                                st...@einval.com
"War does not determine who is right - only who is left."