Oh, I see now that the fact that the installer shouldn't recommend changing one's password regularly was also reported previously, in bug #868869.

On 9/2/23 22:04, Jonathan Kamens wrote:

Nearly two years after Alejandro Colomar reported this issue, the Debian installer is still giving people this bad advice: "A good password will contain a mixture of letters, numbers and punctuation and should be changed at regular intervals."

Alejandro explained at length why this advice about what's /in/ the password is wrong, but he didn't address at all the other, perhaps even more significant reason why this is wrong: we now know, absolutely and unequivocally, that telling people to change their passwords regularly makes security worse rather than better.

I understand that Debian may not be the most security-focused Linux distribution, but can we please move Debian forward into the 21st Century on this issue, at least, by updating the messaging in the installer to give better advice?

Thank you.