> AFAIK /dev/sd* discovery and ordering was never guaranteed to be
> deterministic nor persistent across boots nor match any hardware or
> firmware ordering. One should not rely on these names, hence the use of
> persistent identifiers such as UUID, device path or disk ID.

I agree. That is why I used UUID for the fstab entries. But this drive
ordering issue is specific to the installer. The preseed is expecting
a /dev/sd* type of entry in order for partman to partition the correct
drive...or in my case (using software RAID1) drives.

> I advise to not hardcode /dev/sd* anywhere and use persistent
> identifiers instead.

As stated above, I am not using /dev/sd* anywhere other than in the
preseed which requires it.