On 01/09/2023 at 01:17, Todd Morgan wrote:

When using the same method to install Debian 12, I am noticing that the
installer is detecting the drives out of order. It does not match what the
server BIOS or HPE ILO5 displays. With each PXE installation attempt the
ordering can vary. Looking in /dev/disk/by-path you can see the symlinks
differ between install attempts. Sometimes the order matches the PCI bus
reference and sometimes it's jumbled up.

AFAIK /dev/sd* discovery and ordering was never guaranteed to be deterministic nor persistent across boots nor match any hardware or firmware ordering. One should not rely on these names, hence the use of persistent identifiers such as UUID, device path or disk ID.

This is an issue when you want to tell partman to use /dev/sda (the first
drive) for the installation and have grub installed properly on /dev/sda.

I advise to not hardcode /dev/sd* anywhere and use persistent identifiers instead.