On Sun, Sep 24, 2023 at 01:39:07PM +0200, Eduard Bloch wrote:
> Package: os-prober
> Version: 1.81
> Severity: normal
>
> Something happened in the last months. Whenever I upgrade, it seems like
> the os-prober part is disabled. This is just PITA. I can use the usual:
>
> dpkg-reconfigure -plow grub-efi-amd64
>
> ... to turn it back on, and after an upgrade it's lost again. WHY?
>
> Now I started seeing messages after installing a new kernel package:

I think this changed with ?? debian 12.1 ?? due to a change in upstream
Grub - it's no longer enabled by default.

Check in /etc/default/grub - there's a line which has been commented out
saying

#GRUB_DISABLE_OS_PROBER=false

Change that and reboot, perhaps? As ever, the change is noted in the
release notes, I think.

All the best,

Andy