Luca Boccassi <bl...@debian.org> writes:

> On Sat, 23 Sept 2023 at 14:29, Simon McVittie <s...@debian.org> wrote:
>>
>> On Wed, 30 Aug 2023 at 16:27:12 +0100, Simon McVittie wrote:
>> > [ Reason ]
>> > Part of the transition to merged-/usr, and more specifically, allowing
>> > us to stop shipping files in trixie whose physical path on disk does
>> > not match their path in the dpkg database due to directory aliasing.
>> >
>> > This change needs to be in bookworm (and bullseye, and maybe buster)
>> > before that process can continue, because official buildds run debootstrap
>> > from stable (or older).
>> >
>> > I also took the opportunity to backport changes that make the autopkgtests
>> > pass.
>> >
>> > [ Impact ]
>> > If not accepted, trixie will continue to be stuck in a
>> > mostly-but-not-entirely merged-/usr limbo, with the moratorium from
>> > #1035831
>> > remaining in place.
>>
>> I'm aware that we're getting close to the deadline for 12.2 and 11.8,
>> so I've uploaded the proposed version to bookworm-proposed-updates for
>> easier testing and review. Luca: the proposed version and a signed tag
>> are available from my fork on salsa (I am not able to push to the d-i
>> repository for debootstrap). I uploaded with dgit, so the git tree and
>> the .dsc have been verified to be identical.
>>
>> If this version is not accepted for whatever reason, then I think we
>> should treat version 1.0.128+nmu2+deb12u1 as having been used, and skip
>> ahead to 1.0.128+nmu2+deb12u2 for any subsequent bookworm update.
>> (And if there is a problem with having this version in bookworm-pu for
>> whatever reason, I'm happy to upload a +deb12u2 that is identical to
>> 1.0.128+nmu2 except for the changelog.)
>
> Thank you, pushed both branches.
>
> Release Team, we are aware that you requested an explicit review from
> D-I for this and #1025708, however there are no available reviewers,
> so it appears we are deadlocked. Would you please consider waiving
> this requirement to break the deadlock?
> Philip Hands has confirmed on Salsa that the change has been tested
> with OpenQA and everything still works:
> https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debootstrap/-/merge_requests/105#note_429838

Just thought I'd mention that those tests were for current unstable.

As mentioned in:

https://salsa.debian.org/installer-team/debootstrap/-/merge_requests/105#note_430223
my attempts to test the same change in bullseye have not yet worked out,
because bullseye's D-I is missing the features that were recently added
to D-I in order to allow one to add a test repo from which D-I can
obtain modified udebs (such as debootstrap).

I'll ought to be able to sort out tweaked versions of net-retriever &
anne for bullseye, in which case a test should be possible.

I'm somewhat dubious that such a test is going to tell us anything
interesting though.

Cheers, Phil.
--
Philip Hands -- https://hands.com/~phil