On 10/02/2024 at 20:06, Andrew M.A. Cater wrote:

It may also be possible to tether via a cable to a mobile phone and do the
  netinst install that way.

Right, sorry for not mentioning it in my previous reply.

The OP mentioned in debian-user that they have an iOS (Apple) device. The package ipheth-utils provides a tethering driver for the iPhone (and possibly other iOS devices). I do not know whether it is required, but it is not available in the Debian installer environment. I did not find it in Debian live package lists (https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/release/current-live/amd64/iso-hybrid/*.packages) either.

With my debian-user mailing list hat on: please post to one list primarily
and don't cross-post between lists unless invited to. Thanks :)

When in doubt, true cross-post to a couple of lists seems acceptable to me (so that replies can be cross-posted too), but it looks like the OP actually sent multiple independent posts.