I have recently purchase and "official" CD package of  Debian.  I tried
5 times to get it installed and each time Xserver crashed on launch. 3
of the 5 the mouse could not be found.  On the 6th attempt to install I
tried naming it /dev/psaux and it worked.  On the third reboot the mouse
was lost again and crashed.

I gave and tried Corel Linux.  It installed and ran without difficulty
on the first try.

Perhaps you could look at their install utility to see what they thought
of that you overlooked.

Oh yes,  I also discovered that I like the KDE desktop better than GNOME.

Fred Musick
Bristol, TN