Erich Waelde wrote:
> Debian-installer-version:
>       30-Dec-2003 11:11h netinst.iso 2nd build from
>       http://people.debian.org/~manty/testing/netinst/i386/daily/
>
>       just to be sure:
>       md5sum sarge-i386-netinst-20031230.2.iso
>       8d88a368fc22eeee25144b8592d75684  sarge-i386-netinst-20031230.2.iso

That's the same as my copy..

> to make it short: This image is no good for my box.
>
> - network cannot be configured, because ne2k-pci fails to load
>   with unresolved symbols:
>         insmod: unresolved symbol ei_close_Rc8e3042e
>         insmod: unresolved symbol ei_open_R8c9e3b69
>         insmod: unresolved symbol ethdev_init_R2342cc80
>         insmod: unresolved symbol ei_interrupr_Rb93d8fa5
>         insmod: unresolved symbol NS8390_init_Rd79efca9
>   this worked on the image before.

I can't reproduce this, just booted and manually modprobed it and it
loaded without problem. I don't have a card to try it with, but all the
symbols are resolved. Also tried it with "net" boot type, same result.

The symbols you list as missing are in the 8390 module AFAIK. It sounds
as if you got a broken modules.dep somehow and modprobe did not load
8390; but it works here.

> - ncr53c8xx (scsi) is missing and sym53c8xx is not loaded through
>   the hw detection phase. loading sym53c8xx, sr_mod and sd_mod
>   manually results in the SCSI disks being avaliable, though.
>   this worked on the image before

ncr53c8xx is available in the installer initrd after the installer loaded
is components from CD. sym53c8xx is part of the debian-installer CD boot
initrd, so it should be available the instant the installer boots (and
is, in my testing).

> - booting "net" still results in the di-utils-devicefiles
>   problem, see my last message

I have just verified that di-utils-devicefiles is not in the Packages
file anymore. It may have been still when you did your testing, and may
still be on mirrors that are *very* slow to update.

Anyway, I cannot recommend using the "net" boot method, as it is laregly
untested. I also don't know what it's good for at all, frankly. I have
been pondering remmoving it from the netinst CD entirely.

> - ext3 has vanished from the selection in conf.+mount filesystems

Cannot reproduce. ext2, ext3, and reiserfs are all listed, and I have
done installs with all of them used for the root filesystem today, using
this image. I have successfully installed using this image on two
computers a total of 12 times today..

Something went badly wrong, but I cannot find the problems in the image
you say you used. Perhaps the CD you burnt is bad, or you accidentially
swapped in one from Dec 30th, 2002? ;-)

--
see shy jo