> Thanks for the report.  We have 2.4.24 kernel images in the archive for
> d-i, but I hadn't yet switched to using them for the daily builds.  This
> is done now, and tomorrow's ISOs should be 2.4.24-based.  Would you be
> willing to give them a try?

I'd be happy to.  Is there any way of skipping the IDE detection or telling it
not to try different chipsets?

> Have you filed a bug on the kernel-image packages about the tulip/de4x5
> issue, by chance?

No, I'm 99% certain that the problem isn't really in the ethernet drivers.
It's the machine's buggy PCI/IDE chipset causing the drivers to fail.  If I
put another network card in one of the PCI slots it will also fail.  From my
understanding, the problems with these particular machines have been known
for a while.

http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2003/debian-alpha-200308/msg00082.html

The odd thing is that the 2.4.2x Debian kernels do boot and appear to function
properly (outside of bringing up a network interface.)  I would expect it to
work in the installer if you can still skip the network configuration.

John