On 26.I.2004 at 16:07 Christian Perrier wrote:

> Unfortunately, this has a problem-->the first question, about country
> will be in english. Its implications are not trivial, thus I think it
> should be translated...

What if the menu items look like this:

Belgium (Dutch and French translations)
Bulgaria (България)
Germany (Deutschland)
Switzerland (French, German and Italian translations)

> If one chooses Belgium, should French or Dutch be chosen as default
> language? I can assure you that either one is chosen, then you'll get
> the "other side" very angry.

For such countries the priority of the language question should not be
lowered and no default language needs to be chosen.

> In step 2, the user is warned that choosing "Others" may have
> undesired effect as the locale combination is currently not supported
> in Debian.
>
> [...]
>
> About LANG, LANGUAGE, LC_ALL and all this stuff, I leave the answer to
> others as I must admit that some subtleties there are away from my
> understanding...:-)

Even when the language-country combination is not supported the LANG
variable should be set to a valid locale.  It is more important to
satisfy the country part of the locale than the language part.  This
means that we need a default locale for each country.  (Hm, again
default for Belgium and Switzerland.)  LC_* must always be unset
despite that in RedHat LC_ALL=$LANG.

Anton Zinoviev