On Sat, May 15, 2004 at 02:27:28PM +0200, Holger Levsen wrote:
> Hi,
>
> > > btw, isn't mkvmlinux
> > > (http://packages.debian.org/unstable/devel/mkvmlinuz) suitable to create
> > > boot floppies for oldworld ?! (I currently don't have a monitor for my
> > > oldworld mac but I'll get one until the weekend.)
> > I'm in a similar situation and will try it soon; I only heard about
> > mkvmlinuz today.
>
> Has anybody tried now ? ;)

Not done yet ...

> > > d-i installer installs quik just fine, and quik (at least for my powermac
> > > 4400/200) creates a good quik.conf, except for the refered link to
> > > /boot/vmlinux. /boot/vmlinux-2.4.25-powerpc-small exists, but the link to
> > > /boot/vmlinux is missing. I think this is a bug in
> > > kernel-image-powerpc-small.
> > No, we can fix this in rootskel, and we need to fix it anyway for yaboot
> > (see a couple of merged bugs against yaboot-installer). I've got the
> > change in my working copy, and it just needs testing.
>
> Could you please point me to the exact location in rootskel's code? I just had
> a brief look at the contents of rootskel_0.75.tar.gz but couldn't find it.

It's in debian/templates-arch. I've made the change in rootskel 0.76,
not yet released.

> > > if someone would be willing to help start with a quik-installer I would
> > > happily help that person and (co-)maintain it and collect open firmware
> > > settings for specific mac models.
> > I'll try to check in what I've got over the weekend, unfinished and
> > untested though it is.
>
> That's great! Until then I'll examine the build at
> http://people.debian.org/~luther/debian-installer/daily-powerpc-built/2004.05.15/powerpc-small/floppy/
> and post the results.

Well, not quite "over the weekend", but I've checked it in now in
packages/arch/powerpc/quik-installer. You'll need to build images
containing it yourself.

I think it's probably far too late in the release process to be worrying
about collecting OpenFirmware settings; I'd just like this to work at
all for anyone.

My apologies to translators for this coming a couple of hours late for
the string freeze. I tried to sweeten the pill by seeding the
translations with those from yaboot-installer, which should be a good
start. Still, if it doesn't make it then I guess it doesn't make it.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]