On Sat, Jul 10, 2004 at 04:39:28PM +0200, Thomas S wrote:
> Ok thanks to everybody for answerings, I'd like now to respond to Sven :
[...]
> > What kernel are you running on it anyway ?
>
> How to know it ? Could it be the file
> ''pool/main/P/patch_2.5.4-11_powerpc.deb'' situated in the CD (Woody 3.0r2)
> ? (Sorry I'm still a beginner and I only know basic installation of
> GNU/linux and a few UNIX...).

No, patch is a completely different package. Type 'uname -a' to find out
what kernel you're running.

> Is it possible to install, in principle, for example a 2.6x.. package on a
> 2.4x.. kernel (not talking about the fact it is possible IN THIS CASE, but
> in general...anyway, if you know if it is possible IN THIS case, why not
> say...).

It is not possible to install 2.6 kernel modules on 2.4, no.

With a few exceptions, packages other than the kernel and modules don't
depend too tightly on the kernel version.

Cheers,

--
Colin Watson                                  [EMAIL PROTECTED]