Frans Pop wrote:
> - I just tried rdate on i386 and sparc64. On i386 it works fine, but on
>   sparc it fails with a "bus error". Does it work on other architectures.
>   especially arm?

Sure, it works on arm. rdate is pretty simple, it should work on all
(maintained) arches. If you can find a server.

I was a little bit suprised to note that none of my standard servers
supported rdate anymore, because they're all running openbsd-inetd. I
eventually found some servers that support rdate listed here:
http://nscsysop.hypermart.net/rdate.html

> - How are we going to ensure the time will also be correct on the
>   installed system? rdate does not write the time to the hardware clock.
>   For arm (at least nslu2), that is probably not an issue as that does
>   not save the time anyway, but for other (sub)arches we probably do want
>   to do that.

The nslu2's kernel has supported its hardware clock for quite a while.

If we used rdate in d-i, we'd also need to use hwclock --systohc. Maybe
in a finish-install script? But we'd also need to use that if we used
ntpdate or similar.

--
see shy jo