1) FreeBSD 5.0 pre-release... does anyone know if it's GCC 3.x clean? If
   so, I might futz with trying to do up a chroot based on that, at some point
   here... unless someone else desperately wants to do it or something.

   2) pmake (aka /usr/src/usr.bin/make) - the source tree for this on the
   various BSD flavors differ significantly, but all appear to share some
   basic level of functionality. How similar are they? I'm looking at taking
   over the pmake package, and wondering whether stealing just one would
   suffice, or whether I need to do pmake-netbsd, pmake-freebsd, pmake-openbsd
   (heck, maybe pmake-bsd44 for the origional BSD 4.4 version?) and allow
   folks to use /etc/alternatives to select what 'pmake' actually calls.

there's already a "merged" (within reason) autoconfiscated version
of pmake maintained by simon gerraty <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>.  hmm, it
used to be on ftp.quick.com.au but that domain has disappeared...
ok, look at:

        http://www.crufty.net/help/sjg/bmake.html

for details.  it's going to have more-netbsd changes than freebsd
or openbsd but i know simon has also worked at getting them as close
as possible (there are some inconsistency extensions, :U and :L
mean different things as variable modifiers, etc..)

.mrg.