reassign -1 ffmpeg
thanks

On Sun, Sep 20, 2026 at 07:56:10AM +0200, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> Source: libmedia-convert-perl
> Version: 1.5.2-1
> Severity: serious
> X-Debbugs-Cc: [email protected]
> 
> Dear maintainer,
> 
> libmedia-convert-perl fails its autopkgtests with ffmpeg 9.0:

So, this happens only on armhf.

The problem is this:

> 549s progress: 84
> 549s progress: 85
> 549s progress: 87
> 549s progress: 89
> 549s progress: 91
> 549s progress: 93
> 549s progress: 95
> 549s progress: 96
> 549s progress: 97
> 549s progress: 99
> 549s progress: 92
> 549s progress: 93
> 549s progress: 94
> 549s progress: 100
> 549s not ok 6 - progress information is strictly incresing when doing 
> multipass

As you can see, the progress information here jumps from 99 to 92%.

This is as received from ffmpeg. I ran, on amdahl, in a sid armhf
chroot, the following command:

'ffmpeg' '-progress' '/dev/stdout' '-loglevel' 'warning' '-y' '-i' 
't/testvids/bbb.mp4' '-threads' '1' '-c:v' 'libvpx' '-speed' '4' '-pass' '2' 
'-passlogfile' 't/testvids/out.webm-multipass' '-c:a' 'libvorbis' '-t' '10' 
't/testvids/out.webm' | grep -E '(out_time|progress)'

(the command as shown in the log, with the "-progress" and grep bits
added)

And this resulted in output similar to the following:

[...]
out_time_us=8823583
out_time_ms=8823583
out_time=00:00:08.823583
progress=continue
out_time_us=8826485
out_time_ms=8826485
out_time=00:00:08.826485
progress=continue
out_time_us=9019501
out_time_ms=9019501
out_time=00:00:09.019501
progress=continue
out_time_us=9357642
out_time_ms=9357642
out_time=00:00:09.357642
progress=continue
out_time_us=8416667
out_time_ms=8416667
out_time=00:00:08.416667
progress=continue
out_time_us=8625000
out_time_ms=8625000
out_time=00:00:08.625000
progress=continue
out_time_us=N/A
out_time_ms=N/A
out_time=N/A
progress=continue
out_time_us=N/A
out_time_ms=N/A
out_time=N/A
progress=continue
out_time_us=N/A
out_time_ms=N/A
out_time=N/A
progress=continue
out_time_us=N/A
out_time_ms=N/A
out_time=N/A
progress=continue
out_time_us=10000000
out_time_ms=10000000
out_time=00:00:10.000000
progress=end

As you can see, the time indexes here jump backwards at the 8.625 second
mark.

As I don't expect an encoder to jump backwards in time, and as I don't
see the problem occurring anywhere except on armhf, I believe this to be
a bug in ffmpeg. As such, I'm reassigning this to ffmpeg, with the
understanding that I might be wrong :)

(if ffmpeg does in fact document that time stamps in progress
information may jump backwards, then obviously that would be a strong
indication that I'm wrong -- I looked but didn't see any documentation
hinting this)

-- 
"I never had a C in history!"
"Yeah, but there was so much less of it when you were my age!"
 -- Joe Brockmeier recounting a conversation with his father, cfgmgmtcamp 2026, 
Ghent

Reply via email to