Hi Sebastian,

On Thu, Oct 08, 2026 at 09:55:53AM +0200, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> Control: reassign -1 libmedia-convert-perl 1.5.2-1
> 
> Hi Wouter
> 
> On 2026-10-04 17:39:28 +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
> > reassign -1 ffmpeg
> > thanks
> > 
> > On Sun, Sep 20, 2026 at 07:56:10AM +0200, Sebastian Ramacher wrote:
> > > Source: libmedia-convert-perl
> > > Version: 1.5.2-1
> > > Severity: serious
> > > X-Debbugs-Cc: [email protected]
> > > 
> > > Dear maintainer,
> > > 
> > > libmedia-convert-perl fails its autopkgtests with ffmpeg 9.0:
> > 
> > So, this happens only on armhf.
> 
> No, it doesn't. See for example here
> https://ci.debian.net/packages/libm/libmedia-convert-perl/testing/ppc64el/76474853/

I missed that, sorry.

[...]
> > As I don't expect an encoder to jump backwards in time, and as I don't
> > see the problem occurring anywhere except on armhf, I believe this to be
> > a bug in ffmpeg. As such, I'm reassigning this to ffmpeg, with the
> > understanding that I might be wrong :)
> 
> ffmpeg calculates the progress timestamp as the maximum DTS among
> unfinished output streams. When the stream providing that maximum
> finishes, it is excluded from the calculation, so the next reported
> timestamp can be lower. In the case of this test, there are two streams:
> the audio and the video stream. So one stream finishes early and then
> out_time goes backwards.

OK, that's a good explanation. It goes against what I intuited but that
intuition obviously was wrong then.

> I couldn't find any FFmpeg documentation. Therefore I don't think the
> test should require it to increase monotonically. A consumer needing
> monotonic progress will need to keep the maximum value seen so far.
> 
> Reassining it back to libmedia-convert-perl. It is making assumptions on
> out_time that are not documented and not guaranteed.

Agreed. I disabled these tests and will upload a fixed package soon.

Thanks for explaining.

-- 
"I never had a C in history!"
"Yeah, but there was so much less of it when you were my age!"
 -- Joe Brockmeier recounting a conversation with his father, cfgmgmtcamp 2026, 
Ghent

Reply via email to