On Fri, 9 Nov 2001, jason andrade wrote:

> On Thu, 8 Nov 2001, David Gray wrote:
>
> > The IBM LTC at Beaverton, Oregon, USA uses Debian quite a bit and have
> > asked that I include the Debian ISO images along with the other
> > distributions I currently mirror.  The machine I would use for this is a
> > UNIX variant (Sequent (now IBM) DYNIX/ptx).
> >
> > After reading the debcdmirror script and what it takes for maintenance,
> > I think the route I want to take is just to rsync the iso images straight
> > across - I'm not sure I want to build ISO images on my end and am unclear
> > why I would want to unless the distribution is not fixed, but changes.
> > I thought changes of this nature would go in an update directory.

The debcdmirror script has some issues, the main point of it and the
pseudo-image-kit that it uses is to limit the bandwidth usage on the cd
image mirror sites (taking most of the data from a regular debian mirror).

Several of us mirror admins have raised opnions that it isn't really
needed except to save bandwidth at the master site at release-times.

> > Could you please tell me how to use rsync to grab the iso's, and what is
> > needed to maintain the mirrors when the distribution changes?  Hopefully
> > cron is all I would need.

One problem with rsync and cron is that the directory name changes when
there is a new revision or release. Just running an rsync over the
debian-cd directory in cron would mean that when there is a release, rsync
would start out by deleting the existing images and then start downloading
the others.

If you have enough storage to maintain two copies of the cd images, there
is a way around this for new revisions using the potato_test directory
that is present on the master site. It contains hard links to the images
and has names that doesn't change between revisions. Then you can use the
fact that between revisions alot of the cd image does not change, rsync
takes care of that. Also there will not be the day or two of interrupted
service when you have no images and are downloading the 15 gigs from a
mirror.

A good script would then:
1. rsync the potato_test directory
2. rsync the entire cd-image directory with --hard-links

Of course, if you don't mind being a couple of days late with new images,
a plain rsync of the debian-cd (or debian-iso in my case) directory would
work fine. Just remember to include --hard-links so that you won't get two
copies of the images, if there is both a potato_test directory and the
2.2rev4 one. And a --delete-after would probably be a good thing to
include too, so the rsync won't start out with deleting everything.

The "just a plain rsync" has the added feature of also working with future
releases, where one can expect a change in name from "potato_test" at
least.

> however, if you just want to mirror all the images (for all architectures?)
> then if you wait for a few days, there will be a number of sites you can
> rsync or ftp them from.
>
> please keep in mind that there are 6 architectures and source, so you need
> about 12-15G of disk space for a full debian-cd 2.2_rev4 mirror.
>
> rsync has no particular advantage for you to use over ftp if you aren't
> building images over previous images (some people have reported quite good
> results with that) and it's probably best to leave rsync slots open to
> mirrors/users doing this, if you are fetching "fresh" images.

Well, if one keeps a mirror for a long time, one usually have previous
images to rsync over. But it is additional work to set that up and get it
to work. Rsync is also pretty good at mirroring a directory structure.

> some of the usual sites that carry debian iso image archives
>
> planetmirror.com/pub/debian-cd/2.2_rev4/  (our site.  free plug :-)
>
> ftp.fsn.hu
>
> ftp.sunet.se
>
> Mattias Wadenstein <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> who i think runs ftp.acc.umu.se

Yes, I'm almost done with getting the images. I'm running a "final" rsync
to get all the permissions, links and so right, I should have all the
images correctly already.

> cdimage.debian.org (master site - busiest, and preferably use a mirror before
>                     hitting it)

And to save bandwidth at the master site, please don't hit it with just a
plain rsync.  Use the pseudo-image-kit if you need to use that one.

Also there have been no mirror listed in the US here (planetmirror.com is
in Australia and cdimage.debian.org is in the UK), perhaps someone in
that part of the world can contribute the names of a couple of working
mirrors?

On the other hand, we don't really have problems with transatlantic
capacity anymore. So if you feel you can trust our IBM hardware and
software ( http://ftp.acc.umu.se/mirror/ftp-about.html ), feel free
to mirror from us. :)

/Mattias Wadenstein