Package: debian-cd,debian-installer
Severity: wishlist
User: de...@kali.org
Usertags: origin-kali

Hello,

we were trying to harmonize our grub theme across all of Kali and we
(re-)discovered that for installer images, the grub theme is actually
handled at the debian-cd level (./data/$RELEASE/grub-theme.in used by
tools/boot/$RELEASE/boot-x86).

I believe that a derivative distribution should not have to fork debian-cd
to be able to customize the grub theme. It would be much more logical if
debian-cd reused files from debian-installer also for all its handling of
grub for UEFI boot. That's why this bug is filed against both packages
together, we really need some coordination here.

Note that this move would also help to fix #982496 where we ask arm64 boot
to make use of the grub theme.

I don't have any concrete proposal or patch but I wanted to have this
properly recorded. For now in Kali we have worked around this limitation
in our build scripts to not have to fork debian-cd and still ship our
own theme:
https://gitlab.com/kalilinux/build-scripts/live-build-config/-/commit/bb399b8bf63635f53d2ab546f41d1924a5c84467

Given that d-i already provides syslinux configuration files, couldn't it
also provide grub configuration files instead of letting debian-cd do its
own grub port of those files?

Cheers,
  Raphaël.