On Sun, Oct 14, 2018 at 10:53:19AM -0700, Noah Meyerhans wrote:
> I've submitted requests to the AWS Marketplace to remove our Jessie
> listings. They haven't yet acted on these requests, but they should do
> so in the coming week.

It sounds like the removal of the jessie listings has taken effect, and
this is apparently causing some pain for users. The AWS Marketplace team
has reached out to be to relay that they've been contacted by multiple
customers who are still relying on the jessie and are confused by their
disappearance. It seems that a good number of them are aware of LTS and
are expecting to make use of it.

I wonder if it might be worth it to continue to list the jessie images?

I also wonder if it might be worth it to update them with the 4.9 kernel
from LTS security? It's necessary for full KPTI, and thus the most
complete mitigations for the spectre/meltdown bugs, etc. As I understand
the concerns raised at the cloud sprint, most of them were around the
kernel. If the LTS team is keeping 4.9 fresh in jessie, these concerns
may be addressed.

As it is, a freshly booted instance of the latest published jessie AMI
has >100 outstanding package updates, so some kind of update is
definitely warranted if we're going to keep publishing them. I don't
mind doing this work, but these AMIs were created by jeb using
bootstrap-vz, and I don't know how that works or where the configuration
for them lives.

What do people think? Does anybody have particularly strong objections
to putting the AWS Marketplace listing for jessie back up?  I think we
may have been hasty with the EOL of the jessie images, at least on AWS.

noah