On Tue, Oct 23, 2018 at 11:51:26AM +0100, David Osborne wrote:
>    Thank you... so the amis themselves should remain indefinitely?

I'd expect "release" AMIs to remain indefinitely, yes. There's strong
precident for this within AWS in general; it's part of the pledge to not
break users. For example, Amazon's own Fedora Core 6 AMIs from the very
beginning of EC2 are still available and usable in all the places, with
the same AMI IDs, as ever.

What I took down the other day (and have since reverted while we
continue this discussion), was the listings within the marketplace. If
you were already using the marketplace AMIs, they'd continue working,
but you wouldn't be able to discover them using the search interface.

It's worth noting that it's never been required that you use the
marketplace. The latest AMI IDs are always shared publicly from the
Debian account. You can find the details for those on the Debian wiki:

https://wiki.debian.org/Cloud/AmazonEC2Image/