Package: kernel-package
Section: misc
Maintainer: Manoj Srivastava <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Source: kernel-package
Version: 2.03
Depends: perl (>= 5.002-8)
Recommends: libc-dev, gcc
Suggests: kernel-source

I am installing a custom kernel using kernel-package.  Whenever it
tries to build the new psdatabase I get an error message.  The
relevant portion of /var/lib/dpkg/info/kernel-image-2.0.12.postinst is

 if ( -x "/sbin/psupdate" && -f "/boot/vmlinux-$version" ) {
   unlink("/boot/psdatabase");
   symlink("/boot/psdatabase-$version", "/boot/psdatabase");
   system("/sbin/psupdate /boot/vmlinux-$version");
   if ( -f "/boot/psdatabase-$version" ) {
     unlink("/boot/vmlinux-$version");
   }
   else {
     print "\nAn error seems to have ocurred while generating the\n";
     print "psdatabase file /boot/psdatabase.  NOT deleting the\n";
     print "/boot/vmlinux-$version so that the database may be \n";
     print "created manually\n";
   }
 }

so after running /sbin/psupdate there is an attempt to find if
/boot/psdatabase-2.0.12 exists.  The documentation for psupdate
indicates that it writes a new version of /etc/psdatabase.  I checked
and indeed that file was updated.  Am I supposed to have a link from
/etc/psdatabase to /boot/psdatabase?  This sequence would make sense
to me if that was the case.

--
Douglas Bates                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Statistics Department                    608/262-2598