To late: if i wrote it, i thought it :)

> If you start asking you will likely find more than thousand packages
> where someone will have a good reason for an update of the package in
> Debian 3.0. If only every 10th of these updates introduces a new bug
> (IMHO a conservative estimation) these packages will bring 100 new bugs
> into _a released stable_.

I understand that this might happen, and that whould probably end up in a mess,
but one point that come out from this small thread is that there are some
case in which a backport of a package to stable would be more than a kindness
from the Debian developer. This kind issue should be addressed in some way.

Just to be sure, i was/am not referring to package like... zope. I mean: i would
not release 2.6.1 for stable even if it add really a lot of wanted/nice
features.
I'm speacking about cases like phpgroupware which provides bugfix relase of the
same version, or sensible packages like snort or spamassassin, which hevily
depends on up-to-date data/plugins/whatever.

I accept your observation on my proposal, but i would more appreciate other
ideas and/or solutions.

ciao,
--
Luca - De Whiskey's - De Vitis              | Elegant or ugly code as well
aliases: Luca ^De [A-Z][A-Za-z\-]*[iy]'\?s$ | as fine or rude sentences have