On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 07:16:31PM +0200, Sven Luther wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 25, 2003 at 10:35:17AM -0600, Jamin W. Collins wrote:
> >
> > Because there is no need for it to change.
>
> Err, why not,

What is the goal?  To indicate that the e-mail signed came from someone
in possession of person X's private key.  X's public key can be put up
on existing public key servers.  There are already numerous public key
servers functioning and no need for keyring.debian.org to be another.

> What would be the problem to adding another 'official' debian keyring
> for those people in the project who don't need to upload packages, but
> may be otherwise active in the project.

The lack of need.  Why is such a keyring needed?  What purpose would it
serve that public key servers don't already?

> We already have, if i am not mistaken, an emeritus keyring and other
> such, is the idea of adding a contributor, or translator, or whatever
> keyring such a big issue ?

Don't know if it's an issue (wouldn't think it was), but rather a
question of need, see above.

> If it is not possible for technical reasons, then explain, if you feel
> the project don't need translator or other documentation writers, then
> say it and explain your position, but this "no and it is not going to
> change" is not acceptable as a response.

I've never indicated in any way that the Debian project doesn't need
translators.  Please reread my statements.

--
Jamin W. Collins