On Sun, 18 May 2003 20:32:05 -0400, Matt Zimmerman <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> said:

> On Sun, May 18, 2003 at 12:06:21PM -0500, Manoj Srivastava wrote:
>> There is also a mechanism to order the order in which
>> kernel-patches are applied -- so if, say, a m68k kernel image
>> maintainer wanted to create a patch relative to the i386 patches,
>> they could depend on that patch, and order the m68k kernel-pacth to
>> be applied later in the chain than the i386 patch.
>>
>> This dependency-and-ordering mechanism could be extended to third
>> party modules.
>>
>> People interested in hammering out details of this mechanism, and
>> kernel image maintainers, please contact me; perhaps it is time to
>> create policy for kernel patches.

> dh-kpatches provides a dependency/ordering facility which has worked
> well for me in my packages.  It also provides
> /usr/share/doc/kernel-image-foo/applied-patches documenting the
> package and version for each patch that is applied.  I think this
> would be a good starting point for such a policy, since it is
> already being applied in Debian.

        Is this dependency information easily accessible to external
 scripts? It is nice that the patch scripts themselves realize when a
 required patch has been installed or not, but it would work much
 better if the order in which these patches were applied could also be
 ordered nicely (so patches are applied in dependency order), and so
 that we can abort early (before anything was modified in the local
 sources) in case some dependencies have not been met.

        So, is there a way that kernel-package can interface with this
 dependency/ordering facility?

        manoj
--
love, n.: When it's growing, you don't mind watering it with a few
tears.