On Fri, Jan 13, 2006 at 01:14:18PM -0800, Matt Zimmerman wrote:
> The trouble is that those expressing this opinion seem to have
> misunderstandings about what has actually been said.  They talk about what
> is said "proudly", that Ubuntu is "crowing" or "bragging" about "giving
> back", that it conceals its Debian roots, etc.  If you read what is written
> on the Ubuntu website about the relationship between Ubuntu and Debian, it
> doesn't have this kind of tone at all, and certainly doesn't use the kind of
> language that many have attributed to Ubuntu in this thread.

I don't buy this. The impression that just about everyone has of this
didn't come from nowhere.

http://www.ubuntulinux.org/ubuntu/relationship

  "Sponsored by Canonical, the Ubuntu project attempts to work with
  Debian to address the issues that keep many users from using Debian."
  "When Ubuntu developers fix bugs that are also present in debian packages
  -- and since the projects are linked, this happens often -- they send
  their bugfixes to the Debian developers responsible for that package in
  debian and record the patch URL in the debian bug system."
  "First, Ubuntu contributes patches directly to Debian"

I think that's what serves to create a pretty strong impression that Ubuntu
is actually working very closely with Debian to do things like "address the
issues that keep many users from using Debian." From the sound of this
thread everyone would welcome what's on that page with open arms.

 - David Nusinow