On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 06:33:40PM +0200, Agustin Martin wrote:
> On Sat, Aug 18, 2007 at 11:05:37AM +0200, Kurt Roeckx wrote:
> > The aspell-autobuildhash / ispell-autobuildhash manpage says create an
> > empty .compat, or one with 0 in it.  I guess most people just create the
> > empty one.  This file is then used to decide if the hash file needs to be
> > (re-)created or not.
> >
> > Reading the manpage again I see:
> >        This
> >        empty file will be overwritten when the real hash is created, but
> > will
> >        make the hash be removed at package removal without any magic being
> >        done in the postrm and will also help to keep track about which
> > package
> >        owns that file.
> >
> > I guess that's the "more complicated" part.
>
> This only affects the .compat files and the hash (ispell or aspell) files
> when using {i,a}spell-autobuildhash, that is why not all ispell dicts are
> affected. For some packages (e.g., aspell-en) this means around 13 files.
> Of course you can take the list and create those files from postinst and
> make sure they are removed from postrm, but we found current system simpler
> and robust. And, being for something under /var, not that problematic, very
> few things under /var should worry about md5 sums.

Forgot to mention another important thing (It is some time since the tools
were written),

With the current setup once {a,i}spell-autobuildhash is run it looks at all
the .compat files and rebuild hashes if needed, for all dicts of the given
class. This is more efficient and in case of problems a message is written
about the .compat file to blame.

If compat files are created during postinst all the current system needs
to be rewritten so *-autobuildhash is run in a per-package basis, having
the .compat file as argument. While this does not at all mean very
difficult, is also a section of the "more complicated" part.

--
Agustin