On Sat, Sep 22, 2007  at 11:36:41 +0100, Mark Brown wrote:

> > This means, in practice, that many sites will be able to track
> > Debian users by their User-Agent, even if (say) the user is blocking
> > cookies or limiting them to a single session and is changing IP
> > address regularly.
>
> I would strongly expect that any user sufficiently concerned about
> these issues to take active steps like those would be willing to use
> things like either the user agent configuration availialbe one way or
> another in most browsers or something like privoxy (possibly in
> conjunction with tor) which will do the same things and more.

I think this misunderstands the problem.  Having stronger privacy is
like an insurance policy: most of the people who end up having needed it
never knew they were going to need it.  So they weren't going to have
gone out and installed Privoxy (maybe with Tor) /and/ then examined it
closely enough to realise that it doesn't alter their User-Agent by
default, and configured it to masquerade as Firefox on Windows or
something.

Which brings us to a separate point: it's no use to have Privoxy
configured to block User-Agent strings, since that means you'll be the
one person with no User-Agent, which gives you an even smaller anonymity
sets than the default debian packages.  Yes, smart users will copy
Firefox on Windows, which works -- so long as there isn't one little
thing about their browser which gives away their platform.  Cos then,
they can be identified as the one guy running Iceweasel masquerading as
Firefox on Windows.  Also, plenty of debian users would have

It really does help to have larger groups of people whose browsers are
behaving the same way by default.  In the case of Privoxy, this would
mean having all of the default Privoxy distributions (and especially
those that are shipped with Tor) use a single User-Agent.  We were also
planing to send those trivial Privoxy configuration patches, it'd be
great if we could get the community to standardise on "Mozilla/5.0
(Privoxy)" or something.

--
Peter Eckersley                            [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Staff Technologist                Tel  +1 415 436 9333 x131