also sprach namnd <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> [2008.02.18.0750 +0100]:
> - I have posted a full example of internal state on the first email.
> Runtime state contains info about interfaces, about networks running on
> those interfaces, routes running on those networks, and multipath routes
> using the available routes.

This is one of the reasons why I started netconf: stateful
configuration is really bad because it's very difficult to keep the
stored state and the real world in sync. netconf tries to have
minimal state only, which makes it quite a challenge. However,
I think it's worth it. Anyone who has been told by ifup that the
interface is already configured when it in fact is not knows what
I mean. This is a simple example, but it's an important thing to
realise.

>>   - how large is the code base?
>>
> Very compact, about 1500 lines in Perl, other stuff doesn't count.

I really want to look at it, even though I am bad at Perl. Please
try to release it. I am tempted to ask you to show it to me
beforehand under a non-disclosure agreement, but then I might have
difficulty keeping netconf clean, so I'd much rather have you open
the code.

> I generate configuration file for them from specified template,
> and run  the daemons (pppd, openvpn, vtun, ...) with the newly
> generated  configuration file. Full configuration abilities are
> guranteed.

I am interested in knowing more about how you do this. For instance,
how would you add a ccd profile to the openvpn configuration, or an
iroute, or a hook?

> I agree. But it will take some effort so I will only try to release it if
> some conditions are met:
> - It attracts enough developers
> - The quality is good, so it is worthy to continue developing

This cannot be answered in advance, you'll have to try it.

> There is a challenge here, until Larry Wall does some breakthrough
> with  his perl6, I don't know how Perl developers and Python
> developers can  code together :(

I think with enough maturity, they can. :)

Python is really easy to work with. I tried Perl a couple of times
and it's just very complex. Thus, I went down the Python route and
have never looked back. However, I find it very difficult to work on
Perl projects, such as ikiwiki. I would like to, and I don't have
anything against Perl (nothing religious anyway), but it's just
a very steep learning curve I cannot climb at the moment for lack of
time. I still argue that Python doesn't have this learning curve, so
it should be a lot easier for Perl people to work on Python, than
the other way around.

--
 .''`.   martin f. krafft <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>

always remember you're unique, just like everyone else.