Brian May <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> No responses? No one cares enough to comment? Lets see if a change in
> subject helps.
>
> Do the files created from the RFCs also have the same restrictive license
> as the RFCs themselves?

The text of the RFCs is copyrighted.  The mapping tables in the RFCs
cannot be under US copyright law, and I believe copyright law in other
countries is similar.  I'm guessing (I haven't looked closely) that what's
happening here is that the build process is generating code from the
tables in the RFC appendices.

It should be fine if you strip the text of the RFC out in the Debian
upstream source tarball and include only the tables that are used in the
code generation process.  You can probably steal code from the Heimdal
code generation process itself to do that automatically, and then run that
script on new upstream tarballs to generate the Debian *.orig.tar.gz.

--
Russ Allbery ([EMAIL PROTECTED])               <http://www.eyrie.org/~eagle/>