On Mon, 2008-06-23 at 19:45 +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:

> > > Also they same question comes up with the "local" keyword. Dash seems to
> > > support this, while it is not POSIX.
> >
> > The "local" keyword is an explicitly supported extension.  These are
> > discussed in Section 10.4 of policy.
>
> Thanks to James and Adam for the explanations. Maybe I could ping the
> devscripts maintainers to add a not-xsi-but-supported-by-policy flag.
> :-)

/me coughs in the direction of devscripts' Uploaders field (I'm assuming
you'd noticed, but just in case :-)

Assuming "not-POSIX-but-supported-by-policy" checkbashisms already has a
flag to indicate whether "echo -n" should be flagged for exactly this
reason; otherwise it errs on the side of not flagging constructs that
are policy-compliant.

Supporting "local x" would be relatively simple; suggestions for a
reliable regex to catch use of -a/-o welcome... :)

Adam