On Tue, 2008-06-24 at 13:36 +0200, Michael Meskes wrote:
> On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 07:00:13PM +0100, Adam D. Barratt wrote:
> > Assuming "not-POSIX-but-supported-by-policy" checkbashisms already has a
> > flag to indicate whether "echo -n" should be flagged for exactly this
> > reason; otherwise it errs on the side of not flagging constructs that
> > are policy-compliant.
>
> It does flag both, trap and local. This is how I came to my question.

As per previous messages, the uses of trap flagged aren't policy
compliant; the uses of local being flagged should also be those which
aren't policy compliant - if that's not the case, it's a bug in
checkbashisms.

To be precise, the current tests flag the use of "local foo=bar" and
"local -n foo" as neither is supported by policy; "local x" is permitted
and therefore not flagged.

The next release of checkbashisms will include a "--posix" flag which
will allow the non-POSIX behaviours permitted by policy to be flagged.
Currently neither set of "local" checks flags "local x, y"; I seem to
remember there being a discussion relating to that syntax on the -policy
list a while ago but need to check whether it reached any conclusions.

Adam