On Tue, Apr 28, 2009 at 11:53:12AM +1000, Ben Finney wrote:
> No, the point of a ‘reply to list’ command is you *don't* have to
> remember when to use it. Just use it every time you reply to any list,
> and it will DTRT because it uses the standard fields which are in just
> about every mailing list anywhere. The times when it doesn't will be the
> rare ones.

I appreciate the sentiment, but it's not going to happen.

I am not saying anything like "I will not obey the Code of Conduct because it is
stupid" but rather something like "I will try my best, like I have been doing,
but I know I will continue to fail."

If my MUA was able to spot that I was replying to a list and do this
automatically for me, that would be great. But what about every single other MUA
out there? That's 66 MUAs according to Frank Lin PIAT.

To quote Mark Pilgrim on a different topic entirely:

  I like how he focuses on the publisher’s end of the problem — “gee, all we
  have to do is define this permissions table, that sounds easy.” What he fails
  to mention is that every font-consuming application on every platform on every
  computer on Earth will need to be “upgraded” to “respect” this permissions
  table. Because otherwise they’re not really permissions, are they? They’re
  just useless bits taking valuable chunks out of my metered bandwidth plan.
  Like the bozo bit without the bozo.

                - http://diveintomark.org/archives/2009/04/21/fuck-the-foundries

As far as I see it:

  * Debian has dropped the Reply-To header because it is "harmful" in some way.

  * Debian has mandated that all replies must behave as if Reply-To existed.

  * This breaks the vast majority of clients when replying to list emails.

So yeah, I think this is a great solution. All we need to do now is make sure
that every computer that participates on the Debian mailing lists is "upgraded"
to "respect" this policy.

Best,