[Gerfried Fuchs]
>  Requiring the file won't get rid of format 1.0 but will make people put
> 1.0 into debian/source/format. Planing to make the file mandatory might
> indeed make more people think about it, though having the file won't
> make the format 1.0 go away.

It's pretty clear that this is social engineering.  The dpkg
maintainers want to force every package maintainer to _think_ about
which source format they wish to use.  To ensure that, in the long run,
you no longer have the choice to simply ignore the format war.

I am puzzled by one thing, however.  The dpkg maintainers chose not to
add tar.bz2 support to format 1.0 (the only real advantage many of us
can see to format 3.0) on the grounds that it would change the format,
and thus format 1.0 would effectively become format 1.1 or something.
Which, for a deprecated format, was too much effort.

...And here we are now, talking about an incompatible change to format
1.0.  Yay?  So _now_ can we get tar.bz2 format support in there, while
we're at it?

Peter