On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 07:45:30PM -0400, James Vega wrote:
> On Thu, May 27, 2010 at 10:47:47PM +0200, Thomas Weber wrote:
> > How many packages are we talking about here? Is there a way to get the
> > number of packages that have the same version in Lenny and Squeeze?
>
> According to a quick query on UDD, there are 3169 source packages which
> have the same source version in Lenny and Squeeze.  746 when comparing
> Etch and Squeeze.

Following up on this (thanks James):

I would be grateful if someone could check the following queries (i.e.,
if they do what the comment says they do):

-- up-to-date packages with same version in lenny and squeeze
SELECT count(s1.source) FROM sources s1, sources s2, dehs dehs
WHERE s1.source  = s2.source
AND   s1.version = s2.version
AND   s1.release = 'lenny'
AND   s2.release = 'squeeze'
AND   s1.source  = dehs.source
AND   dehs.unstable_status = 'uptodate';

Result: 1059

-- Number of packages that didn't have any bugs ever, are uptodate and
-- not orphaned
SELECT count(*) FROM (
        SELECT s1.source FROM sources s1, sources s2, dehs dehs
        WHERE s1.source  = s2.source
        AND   s1.version = s2.version
        AND   s1.release = 'lenny'
        AND   s2.release = 'squeeze'
        AND   s1.source  = dehs.source
        AND   dehs.unstable_status = 'uptodate'
) AS psources
WHERE psources.source NOT IN (SELECT bugs.source FROM bugs)
AND psources.source NOT IN (SELECT source FROM orphaned_packages)
;

Result: 634

-- Number of packages that have only closed bugs, are up-to-date and not
-- orphaned
SELECT count(*) FROM (
        SELECT s1.source FROM sources s1, sources s2, dehs dehs
        WHERE s1.source  = s2.source
        AND   s1.version = s2.version
        AND   s1.release = 'lenny'
        AND   s2.release = 'squeeze'
        AND   s1.source  = dehs.source
        AND   dehs.unstable_status = 'uptodate'
) AS psources
WHERE psources.source IN (
        SELECT bugs.source FROM bugs
        WHERE bugs.status IN ('done', 'fixed')
)
AND psources.source NOT IN (SELECT source FROM orphaned_packages)
;

Result: 55

So, we are talking about 1000 packages which are up-to-date in
unstable currently. Bugs don't change that picture much. I consider this
manageable during a full cycle.

And frankly, arguing back and forth about this is an exercise in
futility:
Is the new format worse than the old one? No.
Does it offer advantages over the old one? Yes, maybe not for all
packages, but for some.
So, let's make life easier for the dpkg developers and convert our
packages. It's not that much of a burden (From my experience, it's far
less work than even the most trivial bug fix).

        Thomas