Hi Luk,

On 26/09/10 at 15:55 +0200, Luk Claes wrote:
> I think this is completely the wrong question, we'd better ask the
> question: Why do freezes have to take that long?

I would be interested in hearing your answer to that question. It would
help to understand the rest of your mail. It seems to me that given our
quality objectives and the fact that Debian is mostly developed by
volunteer developers, it's difficult to do much better than we currently
do regarding duration of freezes.

> I do think it's completely wrong to have the people causing the long
> freezes benefit from another suite which fits better with not really
> caring about stable, I'd rather have some peer pressure to have a
> constantly usable testing which can be released fast (aka without a
> long freeze being necessary).

To me, it looks like almost everybody in Debian is causing long freezes,
not a specific subset of the DDs. But you seem to disagree?

> I do think having snapshots could help with that goal.

I don't see how. Could you elaborate?

(Just to clarify, because my mail could be understood differently: I'm
honestly very much interested in hearing your RM's opinion on this
topic)

- Lucas