On Tue, 26 Apr 2011, James Vega wrote:
> Why assume the first version will be >= 1.x?  It's not uncommon to use
> 0.x.  Using 0~YYMMDD seems a safer option to reduce the chance of
> needing an epoch if/when upstream starts using actual version numbers.

The 0.DATE thing is from before we had support for "~".  Yes, using "~"
has its advantages.  It would be good to document "0~" as best practice
for when you have to cook up release date versioning.

You could also use just "~DATE".  However, if you do that, and for some
reason someone needs to actually use a upstream version that sorts lower
than yours, the absolutely icky "~~" will make its debut.  IMO, that's a
good enough reason to recommend "0~" as a prefix instead of just "~" :)

OTOH, sometimes you know upstream is extremely unlikely to ever release 0.1
or 1.0 for whatever reason.  In that case, "0." is just that much more
palatable than "0~", and I for one would rather keep using that in those
cases.  I.e. "maintainer's discretion, but here are the reasons to use one
or the other ..."

  Henrique Holschuh