On Thu, April 28, 2011 19:03, Lucas Nussbaum wrote:
> On 28/04/11 at 12:05 -0400, Joey Hess wrote:
>> And at the same time, having a non-frozen rolling release available
>> during freeze time could easily distract people from working on
>> testing/frozen at all, because a shiny rolling release that they and
>> some users can use is still available. I am unhappy during the current
>> choke point of testing being frozen, but that choke point does serve as
>> an incentive for the whole project to work in the same direction: toward
>> actually getting a good stable release out.
>
> That's not true. It serves as an incentive for a large number of DDs to
> just do something else until the freeze is over and they can start
> working on their packages again.

There's a degree to which this is self-perpetuating though.  The larger
the number of maintainers who decide to "just do something else until the
freeze is over", the smaller the number of people actually working on
getting the issues in testing fixed and the longer the freeze is likely to
last, all other things being equal.

Regards,

Adam