On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 10:41:37AM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> I'm confused concerning the above; the point of a VCS in this context is to
> track changes to the source package, and the patches are themselves important
> changes to the source package.  If you have Git ignore the patches then Git
> doesn't have a complete view of the source package anymore.  Why would you
> want to do that?

It's the other way around. You manage changes to the source package as commits
in the VCS; perhaps tracked on separate branches, perhaps not. The source
package ends up being a flattened version of all of these commits.  So the
'preferred form for modification' is the VCS archive; the source package is a
second class citizen.

So to follow Adam's instructions you would first apply each of the patches as a
commit in your VCS, then delete them, then ignore debian/patches going forward
(treating it as an implementation detail of a legacy source archive format)

Yes, I think it's a shame if the preferred form for modification wasn't the
source package.  I also think it's turning a blind eye to say putting git
repos in as source packages would be not worth the work to audit them; but we
can keep hosting them at git.debian.org just fine.

--
Jon Dowland