On Thu, May 17, 2012 at 06:23:49PM -0400, Chris Knadle wrote:
> Another thing I've seen with another package I'm working on in collaboration
> is using a Git repo in which the only contents are the debian/ files and not
> the original source tarball nor source files at all.  To do a built the
> source
> is then downloaded via uscan, expanded, and the debian/ directory is copied
> into the expanded source directory, and then built.  With this kind of
> configuration no source files are tracked in Git, so instead it's necessary
> track debian/patches so that patches can be applied to the "pristine" source.
>
> At the moment I'm following the latter methodology to see how well it works
> out and whether I like it.  If anyone else has used this method and has
> comments on it, I'd be interested in reading them.

I've never used it with git, but I used to use it with svn as part of the
Debian games team.  For some (1 in 1000) packages, it may be necessary due to
the sheer size of the orig source (esp. with svn which wasn't efficient with
storage); but IMHO it's an incredible pain in the arse.  When I moved those
packages to git I gleefully stitched the VCS history together with the upstream
sources via git-filter-branch.

--
Jon Dowland