On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 12:37:32PM -0700, Russ Allbery wrote:
> We don't have a particularly good way of handling this situation right now
> other than one-off work on each package that may need to be treated
> unusually.  It's a bit difficult for the maintainer to determine the
> implications for the dependency graph, and there isn't any good way to
> exclude all packages in a particular class from a particular architecture.

It's not that hard. Something like «dak rm -n -R -b -a s390 -s unstable
pciutils libpci3» on ries (the DD-accessible ftp-master mirror). However
this does not recurse, so you need to add the resulting packages to the RM
or look if those listed can be fixed by dropping the Build-Dependency.

> We have some architectures where I really doubt that anyone is using them
> for anything other than a server (s390, for instance), and (modulo cases
> where it makes sense to run such software as part of a remote session on a
> shared-user system) [...]

People once said exactly that as a use case. However I'm unsure who the
users of Debian s390(x) really are. And I don't know if the largest user
(still?) does that. I imagine that it would work to use a mainframe as a
thin client host in any case.

Some blacklisting happens in P-a-s and some through BD-Uninstallable by
Build-Depending on something that does not exist on that architecture.

Kind regards
Philipp Kern